Monday, January 16, 2017

Inspiration in January


January is my least favorite month in the year.  Freezing cold days with a mix of snow and ice storms that seem to last forever even though the days are short.  For me, sleeping is interrupted by the glow of moonlight and snow coming through the windows.  Though I feel rested, coffee is still needed to give me that boost in the mornings.   It should be a good time to stay inside and plan, organize and finish any lingering UFO's.  However, I find myself at a stand still.   


Turning to my pictures, spring blooms cheer me up and give the inspiration I am craving. The carpets of crocus's winding around trees in bright happy colors gives me ideas like scraps of prints in these colors winding through a background of green grass and using thread painting techniques and beads to add interest and texture.  


I love this crocus with the water droplets.  I would like to experiment using threads and/or beads to get the look and depth of the droplets.   Dying, painting or even discharging the dye in a fabric patch would look flat to me, so possibly using trapunto work would make it more visually appealing.

This Hellebore would be a great subject for discharge dying, thread painting, embroidery, and bead work.  




Glancing through these pictures gives me inspiration in not only new projects, but to finish the UFO's I've started.   


I suppose this winter picture could be inspiring, but for me, winter is not my season and I anticipate spring and the promise it brings.  

No comments:

Catherine's Wheel

 I posted December 17, 2020 about making an ornament which is called prairie wheel (USA) or Catherine's Wheel (UK).  The latter being of...