Sunday, July 15, 2018

Summer Strawberries

This picture has nothing to do with what I am posting about, I just like this one my son took of an outdoor sculpture of a "jack" at our local library.  A few years ago, I would take a lot of pictures of food I would make, but I've gotten away from doing that.

I look forward to every summer season and all it brings, especially when strawberries ripen and I can go to a pick-your-own farm to get them fresh.  Usually I make jam, strawberry shortcakes, strawberry ice cream, or just eat them plain or with cereal.  They're even better dipped in chocolate for a simple dessert or chopping them up and adding them to oatmeal or on top of waffles.  Recently, I've discovered a new recipe.  It's light and refreshing "strawberry soup" served very cold in a bowl at breakfast as a fruit course.  Similar to a smoothie, but different and should be served in a chilled bowl with a spoon.

Strawberry Soup

1 pint strawberries, cleaned and hulled
1/4 cup sugar
2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice or orange juice

In a saucepan combine the above ingredients and heat over medium heat, stirring occasionally until sugar is dissolved.  With a stick blender, whiz until smooth, let cool completely and then continue with the rest of the ingredients.

4 oz. plain or strawberry yogurt
1/2 cup half and half, or 2% milk, or if you like, cream
 Whipped cream for garnish (optional)

Add the next two ingredients, mixing in well and chill until very cold, at least 4 hours.  When ready to serve, ladle about 1/2 cup into chilled bowls or parfait dishes and top with a dollop of whipped cream.

I hope you will try this recipe and will like it.  If you don't like milk or yogurt or have an allergy, you could try a substitute.  I have not done that, so I don't know what the outcome would be.  If you do substitute, I would be interested to know if it worked so please leave me a comment.   Have a berry great summer!

No comments:

Catherine's Wheel

 I posted December 17, 2020 about making an ornament which is called prairie wheel (USA) or Catherine's Wheel (UK).  The latter being of...