Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Quilted Ornament Place Mats

For this year's Christmas project, I've made 6 place mats in this ornament shape.  I didn't purchase a commercial pattern, I drew out the circle on paper and used a box shape for the cap on the top.  Searching for my compass was a disaster, and using a pin and string is too involved, so I took the largest plate/platter from my cupboard and drew around it.  I believe it measures 14" in circumference.  The box for the cap is actually an empty straight pin box.
I fused the 3 pieces of the ornament onto thermaweb batting, then sewed on the rick-rack.  I quilted each section with angled lines on the bottoms and meander stitching on the tops. The backs are cut from the pattern shape and using the pillowcase technique, I stitched around leaving an opening for turning.  I pressed the mats, stitched the opening closed and top stitched around the mat.  They will be perfect for our table throughout the season.    


No comments:

Catherine's Wheel

 I posted December 17, 2020 about making an ornament which is called prairie wheel (USA) or Catherine's Wheel (UK).  The latter being of...