Saturday, December 19, 2020

Twenty Twenty - My Year in Review

 Here we are coming to the end of the worst year in recent history.  I don't want to write about what we all know...the pandemic, riots, shortages, weather extremes, fires, job losses, deaths.  These things are devastating and we've all been finding our own ways of coping.  Instead, my year in review is about what I've tried to accomplish in my quilting.  

I attended a retreat our guild put on in January.  While there, I worked solely on a quilt for a friend. 






I loved how this one came together.  I used William Morris fabrics and FMQ an all over meander pattern.  

At the end of March, the National Quilt Museum's Block of the Month facebook group finished up round 2.  I received a special label for being one of 1,000 people finishing their quilt.  








Amazing blocks by some inspiring quilters were presented each month with their techniques.  I added some embellishments like embroidery and applique to some of my blocks giving it a South Carolina theme.  




The National Quilt Museum facebook group didn't start round 3 in April as in the past two years, instead they chose to do a Quilt Along for 6 months finishing in October.  They started off with a center star pattern and worked out from there adding borders.  I chose a Patriotic theme so I could gift it to my DH for Christmas.  








This quilt measures about 62" square and is a good lap size.  It was sent to a friend to quilt for me in a star and wave design from edge to edge.  I attached the binding and the label on the back is hand written with details and the Air Force song.  The back is pieced with an Eagle and flag panel, navy blue and the label.  
I also had long bouts of ice-dyeing and even taught a couple people, socially distanced, in my home to do this technique. 

I had two students who made these pieces.   They did quite well for their first time at dyeing. 

These pieces I did at intervals trying different dyeing techniques and ties.  My favorites are here.  I also sold some pieces to friends and guild members.  













Every Christmas I try to craft something new.  This year, I found instructions to make sock Gnomes, so I made a few and posted previously about them.  

I've also made some ornaments for our trees.  After all this, there's no wonder why I'm a little burnt out on quilting and crafting.  I'm taking a break for the next few weeks left in this year.  

The American Patchwork & Quilting facebook group will be starting the next UFO challenge for 2021 starting in January.  You can find out more HERE

I am waiting until after Christmas to make my list.  That will be a good time to clean and arrange my studio before starting the next project.  

No comments:

Catherine's Wheel

 I posted December 17, 2020 about making an ornament which is called prairie wheel (USA) or Catherine's Wheel (UK).  The latter being of...