Wednesday, March 29, 2023

Diary of a quilt

 Dear Diary, 

Remember those 5-year diaries from years ago?  Writing entries as if the diary itself is somehow a sentient being with thoughts and possible answers.    Instead of the archaic term "diary", I refer more to journaling these days, with thoughts, doodles, drawings, ideas, or even poems.  Journaling has less to do with personal struggles and more to do with my life journey, artistically.  This is National Quilting Month.  I have been re-evaluating myself and what I want to achieve on my quilting journey.  I went to Quilt Con in Atlanta in February.  It was a good show, but a little disjointed in presentation.   After seeing all the quilts, attending 2 of my 3 classes, sitting in on a couple presentations, and purchasing too much, I've come to a couple realizations.  

  Number 1,  I need to be more prepared and make a checklist of items or products I want to purchase.  I was completely prepared for my classes, but less prepared for the weather, packing light, walking long distances, and time management.   

  Number 2,  Bring extra memory cards.  My camera ran out of space, so I switched to my phone's camera.  This was my only option, but not a good one. 

  Number 3,  take notes, and bring a journal.  Not only in the classes but if an idea sparks, I want to notate it before it escapes me.   Make a sketch, jot down an address, and so on. 

Being National Quilting month, I tried to search my UFOs to find the oldest and get at least some progress on it.  I found one from 2012.  It was an idea with materials and embellishments attached.  I vowed to dive in and finish it by the end of this month.  Well, this mental push worked in a way.  The piece is nearing completion, but will not be "finished" by 31 March.  It's OK, though.  I'm good with that.  Knowing that I can push all other things aside and prioritize to meet a deadline is important and I'm so thrilled with my accomplishment so far.  

Every quilt has a story, so I'm told.  I look at my work and think, "what is my story".  I'm not sure there is one.  All I do and have done, I've done because I want to learn or try out a technique.  Beg the question, "what if..." I change things, add things and sometimes never revisit things.  I find out what I love, what I hate, or what I can tolerate.  If I had just made everything using one technique like paper foundation piecing...how boring would that be?   For me...devastating. 

I believe all artists have to grow and expand their work, and their knowledge moving on to better things.  Discovering their own style along the way.  Is this discovery ever finished?  I believe...no.  







No comments:

Catherine's Wheel

 I posted December 17, 2020 about making an ornament which is called prairie wheel (USA) or Catherine's Wheel (UK).  The latter being of...