Wednesday, May 22, 2024

Quilts tell Stories?

 Stories behind the Quilts.  Does every single quilt made have a story?  Or warrant a need for a story?  I used to believe that they may not.  I never thought that anyone, even family, would want me to document my story about each quilt.  Or keep my quilts.  Or care to hear of my struggles over making any of my quilts.  Do I find it necessary to explain some of my quilts and the inspiration behind making them?  Well....and keep in mind, this is only my opinion.  

Collaged from an image

Quoth the Raven - donation mini quilt

Quilts made from patterns may not need a story as it is just bascially reproducing someone's pattern in a favorite color scheme.  But, when I see an art quilt, I feel the need to know more about it.   Search more meaning behind it. What or who inspired it.  Just like paintings and sculptures, textiles also need the story told.   When I see old quilts made with feed sacks and old ties, those are wonderful in their own right.  Using what was at hand was what quilt making was all about long ago and in times of great need with little to no resources.  Furnishing a quilt to every member of the family to use on a daily basis was the point of all that tedius work and struggle.

Today, though, I make for the sake of creating.  I will still make quilts to use, but more often creating something small to satisfy a need to express a thought, technique, emotion, or an object or nature.  Mini quilts are a great size to try out a technique or color scheme without investing a lot of time and materials in an idea.   Ten to 30 inches square. This is my favorite size for art quilts.  They don't have to be massive 5+ foot wall quilts.   

My designs are not always carefully planned out.  Most times a rough sketch is all I need to get going on a new piece.  Sometimes just a poem, saying, or image is all I need.   Don't get me wrong, I still make quilts from patterns and throw those on my bed to use.  They are beautiful to sew up and don't take a lot of time planning as that work is done for you if you stick to the pattern of choice.  But, there's something fascinating about art quilts.  Being able to express yourself from an image or drawing is very appealing to me.  

The Raven - for my son

When displaying and attending shows, I gloss over all the quilts made from patterns.  Yes, they're beautifully executed by the sewist and or quilter, but for me the truly fascinating quilts are the ones fully conceived and executed by the quilter.  Sorry to those that send off your tops to longarmers.  I understand, and sometimes I too send off my tops.  But, for a spectacular piece of art, I choose to do the entire piece myself.  Only I know what I want it to look like.  And I want it completely done by my hand.  All free hand free motion quilted.  No measuring, no rulers, no computer pantographs, etc... Also, sorry to those quilt judges and quilt police alike.  I will never enter another quilt in a show.  Judges do not know my intentions of the quilt created.  They simply read (or not) a little blurb about it on a card that just states name, place and inspiration.  But, cannot know what else went into the creation of the piece. Like paintings, some quilts bring out emotions, societal issues, politics, life journeys, health struggles, etc... Judges are only concerned with construction like points meeting and squaring up corners, filling the binding, etc...and yes, they're perfectly square, perfectly symetrical, perfectly longarm ruler computer assisted quilted.  Great.  Good to know something can be perfect in an imperfect world.  But....ugh.  Where are the art quilts?  I am more excited to see those than to care who or what took first place.  

In my Sewing Room art quilt

In a nutshell, I make quilts to satisfy a need to create whatever the topic.   Crafting, crocheting, baking, and zentangling also satisfies my need to create and keep my hands busy.  This is really all that's needed in explaining my story behind  a quilt, or baking a loaf of bread, or crocheting the 10th scarf.  By the way, here in South Carolina, I've only worn a scarf twice in the dead of winter.  The need to create outweighs the need to use it.  Is that the artist inside me? 

 If I didn't have something to create I would be very unhappy, that's for sure.  I like to gift things I make to people I love.   One example is; a friend I see in person rarely I've gifted a quilt to... she hugs me and tells me how much she uses it and appreciates it.   That means a lot to me...and her.  This is a way better story to tell than what, where, when, or how I made a quilt.  It's the WHY.  WHY did I spend months making a quilt?   To show my love of creating to the people I love or to keep for myself.  Being an introvert, it's sometimes hard to tell or show people what I love to do.  I stay in my corner until it's safe to come out bearing a gift and hoping it will be well received.  The synic in me assumes people will only scoff and say I am showing off or trying to buy friendship.  This couldn't be further from the truth if it was on the planet Pluto (yes, I'm old, Pluto is a planet last I learned in school).  I digress.  

Tim and Anita's quilt - William Morris fabrics

Enough rambling.  It's time to create something today.  :o)   

1 comment:

RICHARD said...

Love your art quilts! Keep it going!

Labeling Quilts

  It's sometimes an afterthought to add the label after completing the quilt.  Most times, sadly, it's never added and the informati...