Friday, April 4, 2014

Marching on

Our weather is getting better and better.  It hasn't been a hard winter like some have been experiencing, so I won't complain.  It doesn't look like I've accomplished much from the few posts I've written, but I assure you, my sewing machine is smoking from all the recent work it's been through.  So, the most recent project I've completed is this little bag.  No, it's not for a kindle, ipad, or any other gadget (I simply don't own these things anyway), it's a little purse with a simple zip and a pocket on the back side. 

The zip attachment was easy and you must choose a contrasting color to show off the zipper instead of hiding it.  The back side shows the contrasting pocket.  The strap I added is long enough to cross over the body or over one shoulder.  You could also tie the strap half way down and carry it. 

The next project finished was this easy pillowcase using Nite Lite thread.  It glows in the dark.  I also used glow in the dark spider web design fabric for this Halloween inspired project.
Sue's City Windows is now finished with a label and a rod pocket.  Wow, two things I don't often add, but know I should. Sue is my sister-in-law and wanted a quilt to hang over her sofa in her living room.  I am hoping she will be pleased with the result.   DH is secretly hoping she doesn't like it and will send it back to us.  Yeah, he's a sweetie.  This is a pattern I have done before which hangs in my dining room now. Since Sue wanted it to hang over her sofa, I had to change it up a bit and make it wider and shorter in length.  So, it hangs like a landscape as shown below.  By the way, it is laying on a bed and that's why it looks a little wonky.  I would say it is about 1/3 the size of my original. 
 
 
 
Yes, some of these fabrics were from the Kaffe Fassett line used in "Color My World", but this one has a purple coloration to it.  Where CMW has more red colors.  The free motion quilting in both quilts is my own design depicting a tree of life and the bible verse from John 3:16 "written" in quilting stitches filling the trunk of the tree.  Outside of the tree design, I did a meander design in clear polyester thread.

When I started this blog on 12 November 2007, I posted a picture of "Color My World" which I completed March 2000 and entered it in a contemporary competition which to my delight and surprise won a design award.  After 14 years, I still really love this quilt.  I personally can't say that about everything I create.
There is so much more to do in my sewing room with a list of new starts and my ongoing UFO basket.  The only question is what to do next?  Shall I just close my eyes and pick one at random?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I like "Settle Windows" very much

Catherine's Wheel

 I posted December 17, 2020 about making an ornament which is called prairie wheel (USA) or Catherine's Wheel (UK).  The latter being of...