Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Interesting Threads

The last few weeks I've been able to catch up on the thread university courses sent to me from Superior Threads. go here The projects are simple for the most part and the threads are wonderful to work with and learn about.  If it weren't for these courses, I would probably never purchase these threads for quilting and sewing.  However, this bag project used silk thread which I do purchase quite often. 
Quilted using silk threads.  It was easy to sew and the finish is just beautiful.  I like to use silk thread for applique, slip stitching and binding as it is fine, strong and doesn't show as much as cotton thread.  There are many positive features using silk thread, but one of the best features is that it doesn't shed fibers so it is virtually lint free in the machine. 

The next project was this candle mat using Razzle Dazzle and Glitter threads.  Please don't pay attention to my disjointed star mistake, oops.  I measured my lines wrong.  But, the metallic threads were suprizingly easy to use and gives the mat a nice look.  The edges were hand sewn together using embroidery floss and blanket stitch. 
The Razzle Dazzle thread is very thick and used in the bobbin. 
The Glitter thread is thinner and used as top thread in the machine.   Gold color and is subtle, but I'm not sure I like this side as much. 

This next one is also a metallic thread and used stiff pelon interlining.   Cotton varigated threads to finish the edges.  My sewing on this could have been better, it was a late night.  This "bowl" can be shaped.  The pattern has 5 darts you sew in to give it shaping. 
Learning how to use these different threads has sparked my interest into experimenting with thread painting and I will be making some samples in the future.   Possibly adding some of these threads to my ongoing UFO's.  I think they add more depth, texture and interest to quilting and general sewing.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is so cool !!

Catherine's Wheel

 I posted December 17, 2020 about making an ornament which is called prairie wheel (USA) or Catherine's Wheel (UK).  The latter being of...