Thursday, August 25, 2011

Tiles

I've always loved tile mosaics old and new.  In grade school, our class had to make mosaic plaques and remember it being so much fun.  Seeing mosaic floors in churches, museums and Roman ruins has given me inspiration and the desire to try out the technique in quilts.  I bought the book "Tile Quilt Revival" by Carol Gilham Jones and Bobbi Finley.  It contains a brief history and instructions on making the projects in the book along with patterns.  I am making the quilt "All in a Dream" which I thought would be an easy project to get my feet wet.    My "grout" lines don't look perfect, but I really like the look of this quilt.  The idea was to make each block with a warm and cold side as well as mixing dark and light. 

The borders will be a yellow stripe all around.  Juliet will long-arm quilt for me and when it returns I will post a final picture. 

This Asian square quilt is also finished.  My son likes the outcome and has hung it in his bedroom.  I dismantled the entire thing and took out the glaring white and added the black and red sashing strips.  The green cornerstones were also added.  My son loves the center symbol, which is thread painted.  Look back a few posts to "Time Out" and you will see how this top was returned to me from the round robin.   Since this was always meant to be for my son, he had the final say in what it should look like, so I don't feel bad that it was dismantled and redone.  He has to live with it afterall.  

Have an inspiring day ;o)




No comments:

Catherine's Wheel

 I posted December 17, 2020 about making an ornament which is called prairie wheel (USA) or Catherine's Wheel (UK).  The latter being of...