Thursday, October 13, 2011

On Retreat

Quiltworks is the best place to stay for quilt retreats or taking classes on offer.  DH and I just got home from a 5 day retreat.  I spent nearly every moment at my machine while DH found himself immersed in his novel or off on a hike.  There is plenty to do in the area and is a central location to the Lakes District.  Please go here to find this wonderful studio in the beautiful county of Cumbria. 
I worked on my own UFO's and was inspired by other talented ladies.   In August, I took a Kate Dowty class and made this pebble wall hanging which I call Sweet Wells.  Sweet wells is one of the many becks in this area.   
At retreat I started and nearly completed a sewing machine cover; and  a 12" square block which will be a calendar top.  There will be several more of these made and will be changed with the months.   A small doll size pillow/sample which has applique, piping and a ruffled edge, but it's not finished yet.  I also started quilting the maple leaf quilt I've shown in a previous post.  It is so good to just think sewing/quilting the entire time and not have to drop it all to make a phone call, go shopping or prepare meals.  There are no distractions here if you don't want them and plenty of inspiration.  If you've never been on a retreat, I highly recommend finding one in your area and meeting other talented people or go with your own group.  It's therapeutic.  ;o)

No comments:

Catherine's Wheel

 I posted December 17, 2020 about making an ornament which is called prairie wheel (USA) or Catherine's Wheel (UK).  The latter being of...