Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Something Sweet

There is something about Bisquick.  I've used it for nearly 30 years.  As a newly wed, it was a quick solution to making easy meals.   In a pinch, I sometimes bought the cheaper brand, but it just wasn't the same.  Years ago, I used to send away for the little cook booklet with a box top and postage that many brands offered. I remember it coming in the mail and always being surprised at how thick the booklet was and marveling at all the great recipes inside.  I wore the Bisquick booklet out completely and had to throw it away.  Deeply regretting this move, I emailed the company and asked about a particular recipe, but they didn't have it in their archives.  So I searched and searched through my recipe box as sometimes I would write a card out and put it in my box just in case I ever lost a really good recipe or couldn't find it again in the booklets I had accumulated.  I am glad I did this routinely as I found the missing recipe misfiled and would like to share it here with you so you can give it a go and see if you think it's worth treasuring.  I still have some of the booklets and recently my DH has bought me this wonderful Bisquick cookbook.  Now to make some coffee and enjoy some easy homemade danish pastry. ;o)

Bisquick Raspberry Braid
3 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
1/4 cup butter or margarine, room temperature
2 cups Bisquick mix (regular or reduced fat)
1/3 cup milk
1/2 cup raspberry jam (or any favorite jam or preserve but not jelly)
egg wash - 1 egg whisked with a dash of water
Icing - recipe follows
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Or 200 degrees C.
In a mixing bowl, combine cream cheese and butter.  Cut in Bisquick until crumbly.  Stir in milk until combined.  Turn out onto a floured board and knead 8 to 10 times.  Roll dough to a 12"X8" rectangle.  Turn onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet.  Spread the preserves down the center of the rectangle of dough.  Make 2 1/2" cuts at 1" intervals on both long sides of the dough.  Do not touch the preserves.  Fold strips over the filling which will look like a braid.  Brush with egg wash.  Bake in the center of the oven for 12-14 minutes or until lightly browned and done in the center.  Cool slightly then drizzle with icing.   Store covered in the refrigerator.
Icing:  1 cup powdered sugar, 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract, 1 Tbsp. soft butter, 1-2Tbsp. milk or enough to thinly drizzle over the top.  Blend all ingredients together in a small bowl.

No comments:

Catherine's Wheel

 I posted December 17, 2020 about making an ornament which is called prairie wheel (USA) or Catherine's Wheel (UK).  The latter being of...