Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Rave On


Happy New Year!  What happened to December?  I blinked and it was gone.  Honestly, I know I'm getting older....thankfully, everyone is.  But, time for me has always been an issue.  Its careless fleeting cosmic course sends me reeling from one edge of my existence to the other.  Although I would rather blame time itself, I realize I am to blame for not being an expert at time management.  I sometimes brag to my DH about how I can multi-task by balancing a huge arm-load of folded laundry with a mouth full of papers to shred and my treasurers notebook tucked under my arm, up the stairs to the bedroom to unload the clothing and then the office to dump the notebook and shredding on my desk.  Back tracking only once to put the clothing away, then into my office where I'll spend the next 2.5 hours either reading emails, shredding or doing other necessary office related tasks.   It's boring work, but if I don't do it and at intervals so I can tolerate the boredom, it will never get done.   Stay at home wives or husbands have been short changed for years.   I absolutely despise the term "Stay at home wife".    Being called a "Lady of Leisure" is hardly the proper term to use in this country as well.  Only the very rich and elite who wouldn't do one chore to risk breaking a nail should be called this.  It's insulting to those of us who actually work at home and don't get paid to do it.  It's also the most important work anyone can ever do, and that is taking full care and responsibility of a household.   In the 1950's it was expected that women would stay home to raise their children and be there for them after school and the wives were happy to do it.  They made meals from scratch, hung the laundry on the line, washed dishes by hand, made minor repairs, sewed everything from clothing to curtains, and helped the children with their homework.   Call me old-fashioned, I don't mind at all.  But, don't ever call me a "Lady of Leisure"!   If I need a title, then it should be "Household Director/Manager", thank you very much. 

No comments:

Catherine's Wheel

 I posted December 17, 2020 about making an ornament which is called prairie wheel (USA) or Catherine's Wheel (UK).  The latter being of...