Thursday, January 12, 2012

Portrait quilt

This is my portrait quilt I did last year for the green and white challenge I participated in.  It was my first attempt at this monocromatic and portrait type of quilting.  I don't take step by step pictures of each quilt I do, as you've noticed.  It just takes me too much time to locate the camera and have enough lighting and space to lay everything out.  So, if I'm lucky and make an effort, I usually only take one shot of the quilt when I'm finished with it.  Sorry, but that's just the way I work. 
We had set instructions for size and color, but after that anything goes.  Our dimentions were 6"X24".  Strange, I know.  It limited me to making a wall-hanging or a table runner.   Really, I didn't need another one of either of those.   But, my thoughts have drifted back to my love of photography and how I like to frame photos to hang.  Way back in the 1970's and 80's tole/folk painting was very popular.  You could find family plaques at nearly all the craft stalls where there would be a nice folk painting in the center and on top would be a family name and the bottom would read something like "est. 1974".  So using that idea and the fact that I wanted to practice my machine's capability of sewing the alphabet, I used that on this piece.  Of course, don't look too close, as a couple of them are slanty and my binding strip pulled slightly at the end so it hangs slanty as well.  All these little mistakes gives it my homemade flair and I will not rip it apart to fix it to make it perfect. 
There are quite a few publications out there on portrait quilting.  Here are 2 that I have used.

Fabric Photo Play: Love to Quilt Series by Julia C. Wood

Faces and Places: Images in Applique by Charlotte Warr Andersen

I am going to do another challenge this year, however, it is my own personal challenge.  I have done a red and white quilt for my mother before, but this time I want to use red and white a little differently.  So, I will try to keep you posted on my progress.

No comments:

Catherine's Wheel

 I posted December 17, 2020 about making an ornament which is called prairie wheel (USA) or Catherine's Wheel (UK).  The latter being of...