Lately I've been making fabric bags to use at stores to reduce the use of plastic bags. They fold up and fit nicely in my purse. There are free patterns available online to make your own. I use this pattern for a general use bag. There are also loads of purse and bag patterns here.
Pincushion How To:
This pincushion is easy to make and uses a plastic lid from a mayonnaise jar or peanut butter jar and any scraps of fabric, buttons and trims you have laying about. I also weight the bottom with small rocks to give it some stability. Hope you will give this a try.
1. Wash and dry a plastic jar lid. Place on top of freezer paper or tracing paper and draw a circle at least twice the size. This is the pattern for the fabric padded top.
2. Cut out the circle and place on your fabric scrap. Iron shiny side down or pin in place and cut out the circle.
3. Remove paper and sew a running stitch around the entire circle edge. Draw up slightly and stuff firmly with polyfil stuffing, wool or cotton batting. Draw up the thread and secure firmly.
4. You may wish to cover the lid bottom and sides with felt.
4. Using hot glue, glue small stones in the bottom of the lid. Place more hot glue on top of the stones and around edge. Place the stuffed ball on top with the raw edges down. Hold in place for a few seconds.
5. Use trims to decorate the sides of the lid.
6. Enjoy your new pincushion ;o)