Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Not Again....




I don't believe it....it's snowing.  It's quite abnormal for Britain to get so much snow in March.  Ah, well another day indoors.  I now have the time to catch up on some UFO's since I'm not going out in the snow.  


Remember this one?  It's been 5 years, yep, snagged this one way down deep in the UFO basket.  It's nearly there.  I just want to add another border all around.  Top will read "Be My" and the bottom will read "Valentine".  The side borders will be either piano keys or just plain strips.  I will dig out the rest of the fabrics used in this and see what is left over. 


I really do like these colors even though it looks
pretty wild at this stage.  As you can see it isn't
even ironed.  It has been folded and refolded to
and from the basket over those 5 years, but it
will hang here for a while then get ironed when
I'm ready to add the border.  I will use Tonya's
book again to do the lettering.    In my quilt process I work out every step in my mind and at this stage I  have already decided the quilting stitch pattern.  

On Monday we had some snow and I stayed home and made Pasties and Pulla (Finnish braided sweet bread) for DH and DS.   Being a native of Michigan with a Finnish husband, I learned early how to make these Pasties.  In case you have never made one or tried one, I am sharing my recipe with you so you can enjoy their unique taste.

Pasties
For the Crust: you can make your favorite pie crust recipe.  This one is taken from a Finnish cookbook. 
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1 cup vegetable shortening or lard
1 egg
1 Tbsp. vinegar
ice cold water
For the Filling:
4 medium potatoes or 6 small , pared and diced
1 cup carrot, pared and diced
1/2 cup onion, minced
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground black pepper
2 pounds ground chuck beef, or diced round steak

Mix flour, salt and baking powder.  Cut in lard until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.  Combine egg, vinegar and 3 Tbsp. ice water, sprinkle over the flour mixture; blend.  Add ice water until mixture holds together in a ball.  Roll 6 ovals out to the size of a dinner plate.  Combine filling ingredients.   Mound 1/6 of the filling on one half of each round of dough.  Dot top with a little butter.  Fold other half of dough over and seal edges.  Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.  Reduce temperature to 350 and bake another 20 minutes.  Serve hot with ketsup or beef gravy.  Makes 6 pasties.  Wrap tightly in foil and place in freezer zip bags to freeze for up to 1 month.  Thaw in the refrigerator overnight and reheat in the oven.   

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sandy, I love this quilt! So bright and cheerful. What talent you have! Miss you. Love, Carole Gibson

Catherine's Wheel

 I posted December 17, 2020 about making an ornament which is called prairie wheel (USA) or Catherine's Wheel (UK).  The latter being of...