Back in 2009/10 I purchased a bunch of fabrics from the Cath Kidston store with a bed size quilt on my mind. Shortly after purchasing, I cut some of the pieces out for pinwheels and didn't have a plan further than that. So it sat in my UFO basket for years...and years. Not that I hadn't thought about it and pulled it out in those years, I have, but it just didn't go anywhere.
January 2017 rolls around and I am flipping through the basket and finally decide to give this one last chance to become something. Making the commitment to work on this at least 1 hour everyday, I start to work. Finishing the pinwheels and placing them on my design board. Ok, now what? Forget about the colors as I posted previously, that thought is a stall. I pulled out several books from Kaffe Fassett and think with all the flowery prints going on here, just keep it simple. So, I start the borders. One thin pink polka dot, then a paisley print, a 4 patch, another pink polka dot and a final wide paisley print. There was no pattern, plan, or precise measuring. I only had in mind that I wanted it to fit on our full size bed with a drop. The final measurements are 76" X 82" and I am not only happy it's out of my UFO basket, but it's completed AND I actually like it. It will be a good weight (cotton batting) for a summer time bed covering. It's a relief to be finished with the top, but also rewarding and exhausting at the same time. Time to clean up my studio so I can move on to something else. There's always something else.