Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Original S&Q Expo weekend




This beautiful butterfly wall was in the lobby of my hotel near Atlanta.  It shimmered and shined in the sun drenched entry as they are all made from metallic paper and pinned to the wall.
It was just breathtaking.  The hotel associate just smiled as I apologized for taking pictures and she remarked that a lot of people do it and are equally amazed.
Anyway, why was I staying in a hotel?  I went to Atlanta for the Original Sewing & Quilt Expo.  There were a lot of classes I was interested in taking, but ended up with 3 good choices.  My favorite was the Shibori dyeing class taught by Cindy Lohbeck.  https://www.handsonhanddyes.com/about-us.htm  There was a supply fee which ended up being a full kit minus the dyes, but at the end of the class, she let us take some mixed dye home to experiment with along with more fabric pieces.
These two photos show my work.  I am so happy with the outcome.  She was a good teacher and explained the technique quite well.  

The second best class I attended was a paint stick class taught by Laura Murray.  
The paint sticks are oil paints in stick form and you do rubbings over the surface of a textured plate and create all kinds of design possibilities.  You can also use the sticks with stencils.  


If you're interested in attending an Original Sewing & Quilt Expo go to https://www.sewingexpo.com
There were classes over 3 of the days, fashion shows, displays, vendors and lectures as well as daily giveaways and a grand prize giveaway.  It was a fun few days away and now I'm filled with inspiration.

No comments:

Catherine's Wheel

 I posted December 17, 2020 about making an ornament which is called prairie wheel (USA) or Catherine's Wheel (UK).  The latter being of...