Thursday, August 29, 2019

Improvisation

I've just finished another improv pieced wall hanging.  The strip sets were sewn together in no particular order.  My limits were to use scrap, limited colors and 3 solid fabrics.  There had to be at least one curve incorporated in the design.  I had to ban the use of rulers, but I did use a rotary cutter and scissors. 

Once I started cutting and sewing, it all just flowed and my decisions were quick, I didn't dwell on a selection long. 

My DH made me a design wall many years ago from a piece of 1" thick foam core board and I covered it with batting.  It is an essential tool and I don't know how I lived without it before.  The wall helped with Improv as I pinned up my pieces and would step back to see it from a distance adding or taking away before cutting and sewing.  Moving pieces to see how it changed the look.

The far right section in the picture above was moved to the left in the next picture, which is what I went with, sewing it in place and moving on to another section. 

This is the final quilt.  I used a teal blue quilting thread and machine quilted free motion curved lines.  To me, the best quality of Improv piecing is that it's NOT a pattern to be repeated.  It's NOT meant to BE something, or a representation of something.
 It's truly ART up for personal interpretation.
Ask yourself, what am I seeing?  How does it make me feel?




No comments:

Catherine's Wheel

 I posted December 17, 2020 about making an ornament which is called prairie wheel (USA) or Catherine's Wheel (UK).  The latter being of...