Monday, February 15, 2021

Sourdough Biscuits

 What can be more warm and satisfying on a cold winter wet day than a fresh batch of sourdough biscuits and a pot of tea?  I could have this all day everyday.    My sourdough discard is ready to use after 5 days of feeding.  I love its subtle tanginess.  Here's a recipe to try.  These biscuits are delicious with a little jam and clotted cream.  They were gone in minutes.  

Sourdough Biscuits

1 cup all-purpose flour

3 tsp. baking powder

1 tsp. salt

6 TBSP. unsalted cold butter

1 cup starter, unfed discard

1-2 TBSP. whole milk (if needed for dough to come together)

Preheat oven to 425°F.  Grease an 8-10" iron skillet and set aside.  In a mixing bowl, measure all the dry ingredients, stir.  Cube the cold butter into the flour and work in until pea size bits remain.  Make a well in the center of the bowl and add the starter.  Stir together until dough comes together.  Add milk a little at a time if needed.  Turn out onto a floured surface, pat down to about 1" thickness and cut into circles.  Place next to each other in the skillet.  Bake for 18-22 minutes.  Brush with melted butter and serve warm.  



My wrist has begun to feel better, so I am hoping to get back to sewing tomorrow.  Our guild has put out a challenge called "just initial it".  Using only 3 initials from your name, 2 for colors and 1 for the pattern, creating a quilt no larger than 160" total parameter measurement.   I chose "Shaded Trail" pattern and my colors are Purple and Linen.  The pattern is paper pieced and I've never had so much trouble with pp up until now.  I think it's because I cut my strips slightly too narrow.  I am using commercially dyed purple in dark and my hand dye light purple.  If I can get it right, I'll make a table runner.  


No comments:

Catherine's Wheel

 I posted December 17, 2020 about making an ornament which is called prairie wheel (USA) or Catherine's Wheel (UK).  The latter being of...