Monday, April 23, 2018

Blue Sapphire quilt in retrospect

I finished this quilt about a year ago and realized I didn't mention it in this blog.  So sorry if you were anticipating the outcome.   My son loves it and has it hung in his office.  When I finished the quilting I took a step back and decided it really didn't need anything else added to the design and to be honest, I was ready to move on to other projects.

This is the back.  You can see every "flaw" like merging over the echo lines, but it's free hand, free motion and certainly free drawing so in a sense it's like handwriting.  It's an individual style and I don't apologize for it.  If I used tracings, stencils or even rulers to quilt by machine I think I would be bored to tears and it wouldn't look like my own work.


 "Colorado Improv" was also finished about a year ago and was a fun little quilt.  This technique is a great way to use up scraps and just play with shapes without using precise cuts and measurements.  I want to explore more with Improv techniques using what I have in my scrap bag.

I've started on this little project, reminding myself to keep it small, as this one is made from non-traditional fibers like linen, polyester, rayon, wool, upholstery fabrics and denim (yikes) what will the end result be?  All I know is that it will not be utilitarian or large.  It would be too heavy and not hold up to everyday use.


Exploring the unknown is what keeps me interested in the art of quilting.  

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love your creativity and use of color

Catherine's Wheel

 I posted December 17, 2020 about making an ornament which is called prairie wheel (USA) or Catherine's Wheel (UK).  The latter being of...