Thursday, October 27, 2016

In the Midst of Chaos - Finished



I've finished this wall quilt with a black binding and simple random curvy intersecting line quilting stitches using Superior Threads Rainbows thread in a variegated green color.   The quilting lines were achieved by starting in one corner and imagining where I wanted to end up (somewhere opposite), using the selected thread, 14/90 topstitch needle and a walking foot on a medium speed setting.  I didn't use a free motion foot, although you can, but I wanted to try it out with the walking foot to see if I could control the stitching line better than the free motion technique.  It worked better than I anticipated even with some of the lines being very curvy.   Not perfect in a couple spots, but not noticeable either with just a few bumps in my stitching line, which was purely my impatience.  



I love the way the stitching looks on the back and reminds me of tracks made in fresh snow.  Or how ice skating lines look on ice rinks.   If you've never done this kind of free stitching, I would say you have to try it out.  It's like doodling on paper, but you guide or "draw" with your machine needle.  If you think you've made a mistake, just keep adding lines and it won't look like a mistake in the end.  Don't stress out about not following a planned pattern.  Put your favorite music on and enjoy the freedom that flows from your creativity.    :o)

No comments:

Catherine's Wheel

 I posted December 17, 2020 about making an ornament which is called prairie wheel (USA) or Catherine's Wheel (UK).  The latter being of...